The Institute Building
Reinvigorating a late Victorian Institution for the 21st Century
The Institute Building was originally designed as The Institution for the Deaf Dumb and Blind by Benjamin Backhouse in 1870. It was subsequently enlarged and given a Baroque/ Classical façade by Arthur & George McCredie between 1886 – 1891. The site was acquired by The University of Sydney in 1962. This building is one of the most impressive late Victorian Institutional complexes in New South Wales and a major streetscape component on City Road. The work included restoration to the external fabric and installation of new building services. Additionally it involved upgrading the required exits and reinstating a sympathetic colour scheme that reinforces the late Victorian character of the building.