Manly Wharf Upgrade
Updating and Upgrading a Famous Sydney Wharf
The upgrade of the second busiest ferry Wharf on Sydney Harbour was undertaken in conjunction with the Government Architect’s Office. The original steel-framed and timber-clad heritage structure of the Wharf, designed by Arthur Baldwinson in the 1940’s, was respected and repaired. Intrusive building fabric was removed and the original timber ceilings and copper roof were refurbished. The new Jet Cat facility on the eastern side of the Wharf uses purpose-designed hydraulic ramps which can move to suit different sized vessels and different tides. A feature of the upgrade is the extensive use of louvred glass walls which provide light and transparency while still providing protection for ferry passengers from the wind and rain.