Client: St Mark’s Church Location: Darling Point, NSW
St Marks church at Darling Point was originally designed by Edmund T Blacket and and commenced construction in 1848. Located on a prominent corner site, the church has been a significant part of Sydney’s heritage not only for its architectural merit but also for its ecclesiastical and cultural importance. Over the years the church had become in need of upgrade and maintenance. The site includes the church, the rectory, and a cottage. Our heritage architects prepared a Conservation Management Plan for the buildings in order to ensure a strategy to retain and maintain such an important part of Sydney’s heritage fabric. Over a number of years we have documented and administered the careful restoration of the church, the cottage and the rectory. Significant has been conservation of the sandstone spire, replacement of traditional timber shingle roofs to the church & rectory, restoration of traditional Victorian brickwork, reinstatement of the traditional copper roof to the verandahs and conservation of the terra cotta roof.